Quilts of Unity (SU-CASA RESIDENCY)




Final Project

QUILTS OF UNITY (SU-CASA RESIDENCY)
Bronx Council on the Arts

A month ago I wrapped up what I would like to call one of the most amazing arts residencies out there, SU-CASA. I was stationed at the coolest senior center in the Bronx, Neighborhood Shopp. There, I met some of the most awesome and talented ladies I have ever met in my entire life. Just take a look at their wonderful memory quilt. I couldn't of asked for a better group of women to work with.


A documentary short on Quilts of Unity



Close up of final project

Residents sorted through their longtime family memories to create quilt patches that represented the love they have for their friends and family.

Group photo with some of the participants

The process of designing the quilt

Over 30 quilt patches were woven in a matter of months to create one unified quilt representing themselves as a community.

Rosa standing over her creation

A close up of one of the memory patches